Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sour Cream Raisin Pie


This is one of our dad's favorite pies. I think his first choice is Lemon Meringue, but this is definitely second on the list.
I used to think "Eeeew....raisin pie....eeeeew" but have come to realize the error of my ways.
This is soooo creamy and rich and delicious and as close to perfection in a pie as I have ever tasted.
Pretty bold statement, I know.
I think this may be my favorite pie.
Yup, there, I said it.
The Grape Cream Pie I made back in the summer was my favorite for a while there, only because I forgot about the deliciousness of this pie.
It is a spicy pie, if that is the right description.... it has cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg. A friend tried a piece and she said it kind of reminded her of mince meat pie.
I can see the connection. But, that being said, I strongly dislike mincemeat.
I don't want to say "hate" because I tasted these mincemeat squares once that were not too bad. But, mincemeat pie, no, no, no thank you, no.




Sour Cream Raisin Pie

Ingredients

1 cooked 9 inch, deep dish pie shell (or see *notes below)

Filling
2 cups raisins
2 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
pinch salt
2 heaping Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs

Topping
2 cups whipping cream
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch cinnamon


Directions

Mix all filling ingredients together in a heavy saucepan. Cook, over medium heat, until thickened and smooth. (It doesn't necessarily have to come to a boil). Stir constantly. (I find this usually takes between 10 - 15 minutes depending on the temperature of the burner)
Remove from heat and cool slightly, about 15 minutes.


Pour into cookied pie shell. Let completely cool.
In a medium sized bowl, beat together topping ingredients until whipping cream forms fairly stiff peaks. Spoon over raisin mixture in pie shell. If you want to, sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top for decoration.


Store in refrigerator.

*Note - you can make an 8 inch pie and about 12 tarts or 2 small 8 inch pies or 1 HUGE 9 inch deep dish pie.
Yeah, I made the huge one.
Don't judge me.

Drop by The Chicken Chick for some great links!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



    ReplyDelete