Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Smoked Clam Chowder (Single Serving)

 
I'll start off by saying this is my version of clam chowder. I'm not really sure how true it is to "real" clam chowder as I have never made any other version.
It is pretty darned tasty though.
If I do say so myself....
The smoked clams add a distinct flavor that blends well with the bacon.
Other than the flavor, I love making this because it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish, it is a great way to use up leftover potatoes, and it makes just enough for 2 servings.
I'm calling it a single serving recipe because...if you were really hungry....you could eat it all yourself. And, you know what?
It wouldn't be THAT overly bad for you.
According to Fitday, if you make this 2 servings, the nutritional values are:
Calories: 297
Fat: 14
Carbs: 23
Protein: 19
See? Not so scary. If you did decide to eat the whole thing it would be just under 600 calories. Kind of high BUT still survivable. I like to have half for dinner and then have the other half for lunch the next day.
 
 
Smoked Clam Chowder (Single Serving)
 
Ingredients
2 slices bacon, diced
1 small potato, peeled and cooked, cubed
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
salt & pepper
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup fresh spinach, chopped small
1 can (85 gr) whole smoked baby clams
1 cup 1 % milk
 
Directions
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook diced bacon until just starting to brown. Add potato, onion, celery, and salt & pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened.
Add water. Stir well, making sure to get the bits from the bottom of the pan.
Let simmer until potatoes have all but dissolved and mixture has thickened, this only takes a minute or two.
Add in spinach and clams and milk. Stir to combine. Let soup heat through, but not boil, and serve.
 
 
So much yumminess!
A few notes about this recipe:
1.  The clams I buy are packed in oil so before I add them to the chowder I rinse and drain them under running water for a few seconds.
2. I would say the amount of potato I use is equal to a generous half a cup of small cubes.
So...what are you waiting for?
You could be making this now and it could be in your tummy in about 20 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I love clam chowder. This recipe sounds nice and healthy. The bacon sounds so good in this chowder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn :) bacon makes everything better!

      Delete
  2. I'm allergic to shell fish (I know! So sad!) but I loved clam chowder as a kid so I'm going to see if I can make a shell-less fish variation because your version sounds so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take it for granted that I have no food allergies. I can't imagine not being able to eat whole groups of certain foods. :( Booo to that!
      I imagine you could just leave out the clams and maybe add some corn instead and have a bacon corn chowder.:)

      Delete