Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easter Bread Ideas


Easter is almost here and I have been searching everywhere for some Easter-y type bread to serve with dinner. There are lots of bunny shaped buns and such out there but nothing was "just right".
I decided to give it a go myself and see what kind of bunny I could come up with.
These little guys turned out so cute.
Just what I was looking for.


Cute, right?
I stuffed him full of cheese and turkey pepperoni so he was extra tasty. I just used a little food dye on the end of a toothpick for his eyes.

Then our mother asked me to make something Easter-y for her Senior's Center brunch. I didn't want to make a billion little bunnies. Don't get me wrong, they are easy and cute, but I would have had to make a lot of bread balls.
So then I decided to try and make some pastel colored bread into egg salad sandwiches.


It turned out very cheerful looking.
I wanted the colors to be bolder so you could really tell them apart - there is pink, purple, green, and white in there, but Sue had taken all of her food coloring back to her house and I only had a little left in my cupboard.
Yes, Sue always steals all the good stuff. *Sigh*
Anyway, I wasn't sure how to equally divide the colors amongst the dough.
I tried dividing the dough after it was mixed and had rested, but that meant kneading the color into the dough which was difficult and didn't color evenly.
Then I tried to divide the ingredients evenly into three bowls and mix in the food coloring with the wet ingredients. Turns out math isn't my strong suit and the ingredients weren't split evenly amongst the 4 bowls so some of the colors were sticky and some were too dry.
Eventually I just made 4 batches of bread dough and colored 3 of the batches with the food coloring by adding it to the wet ingredients before mixing them into the dry ingredients.
Worked perfectly.
BUT
It made a whole lot of dough.


Two loaves of this size to be precise.
See how big it is? That is a full size oven it is rising on. That cookie sheet fills the entire rack.
Two of those.
BIG.
On the upside, it made a lot of bread for egg salad sandwiches.


Oooooh....pretty slices.


Mmmm....egg salad.
Easter egg salad.
Our mother said the group at the Senior's Center found it very cheerful.
Yay!
I thought so too. 
I used my go-to bread recipe to make these. It is the same recipe I used for our:








Click HERE for the bread dough recipe.
It really is a multipurpose recipe. I don't want to say it is a "never fail" recipe because then I would probably jinx it, but, it is pretty hard to mess it up.
You can have fun with it and shape it into pretty much anything you like.
Nothing as cute as this bunny though.....

 
*Need some other great Easter Ideas - Check out the links at Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons

6 comments:

  1. Your bunny bread is adorable. I also like the nice pastel colors of your rainbow bread. I'm not a fan of the overly bright rainbow cakes and breads and think your's turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I thought the pastels were more Eastery too!

      Delete
  2. Amazing looking bread and looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you fill the bunny buns?

    Good stuff you got there ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) To fill the bunnies you take a piece of dough, flatten it out in your hand or lightly rolling it on the counter, lay your cheese and meat in the center, and fold the edges in until they meet - covering your filling. Pinch the edges together tightly and then gently roll between the palm of your hands until they are shaped like a ball.
      Hope that helps :)

      Delete