Monday, January 28, 2013

Strawberry Grunt (Single Serving)

 
Yes, I'm doing the single serving thing again.
They are my new love.
I love making miniature versions of dishes. Not only because they look cute, but it saves me from eating the entire pan.
This dish, called a "grunt" is similar to a cobbler, betty, or a buckle. I think (but don't quote me on this) the main difference is the other dishes are made in the oven and a grunt is made on the stove top.
Perfect for summer when you don't want to turn on the heat.
Or...for Valentine's Day when you want something red for dessert...
Or...for Monday afternoons after a hard day at work.
Technically this could be a breakfast if you wanted it to be...it has fruit...just sayin'
Anyway...I looked it up using Myfitnesspal and the entire dish is 382 calories, 62 carbs, 12 fat, and 6 protein. Not exactly "light"...but...it's soooo delicious....
I had a salad with tuna for dinner so I could eat the entire thing for dessert and not go over my calories for the day.
It was totally worth it.
 
 
Strawberry Grunt (Single Serving)
 
Ingredients
Fruit
1 cup frozen strawberry, chopped
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp flax
2 Tbsp water
 
Dumpling
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
pinch salt
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp milk
 
Topping
1/2 tsp brown sugar
 
Directions
In a small saucepan over medium heat, mash strawberries, brown sugar, flax, and water together. Bring to a boil, stirring often, turn down heat to medium/low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
 
 
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Using a fork, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until just combined, mixture should be very sticky.
 
 
Drop into boiling fruit, trying to drop evenly over surface of fruit.
 
 
Cover with lid, turn heat down to low simmer, and let cook for 12 minutes.
After 12 minutes, uncover, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, and let cook 1 more minute.
 
 
Serve hot.
 
 
You can make this with pretty much any fruit. I used frozen strawberries but I would imagine it would work with fresh fruit too.
I can't wait to try blueberries!
A couple of thing:
** If your fruit seems to be thickening too fast simply add another spoonful of water.
** The flax is optional, I just like to throw it in there to up the fiber count.
** This is blow-your-mind addicting with some whipped cream on top.
** From start to finish this took 20 minutes.
 
Visit The Rustic Pig and Adorned From Above and Hungry Little Girl for some great links!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Any idea on calories for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I figured it out using Myfitnesspal and added it to the blog :) hope that helps!

      Delete