Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spicy Chickpea, Quinoa, and Barley Patties

 
Happy New year everyone!
I thought, since Jo has been posting tons of recipes lately I thought I should jump in and share one of my new-found favorites.
Sue here, by the way.
I was searching out some new and healthier recipes to help with the new year - eat better changes I am making. I came across this one while browsing through the Fitsugar site. It is soooo yummy.
I'm not sure whose nutritional info you will want to go by, mine has each burger patty at: 213.3 calories, 6.62 fat, 33.67 carbs, and 5.87 protein, BUT over at Fitsugar, the nutritional info is listed as: 377 calories, 9.6 fat, 58.7 carbs, and 16.5 protein.
I'm really not sure why there is such a difference. I mean, I made a few little changes but nothing major. Anyways, if you choose to go by my nutritional info - I used the Fitday website. I tripled checked it. Just sayin' I'm going with 213 calories. :)
 
 
Spicy Chickpea, Quinoa, and Barley Patties
(Adapted from Fitsugar)
 
Ingredients
1 small sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup dry quinoa
1/4 cup dry barley
15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed/drained
2 Tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
 
Directions
Peel, dice, and steam the sweet potato until soft.
 Cook the quinoa and barley in separate pots.
While the grains are cooking, in a food processor, combine chickpeas, sweet potato, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder, salt & pepper, coconut flour, and one tablespoon oil.
In a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the quinoa and barley.
Using hands, form into six patties.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Brown both sides of each burger.
 
 
This is optional - but I added some cheese to mine then threw it in the oven under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.
 
 
Then you can put it on a bun OR enjoy it in a lettuce wrap with some tomato, onion, whatever your favorite toppings are!
 
 
This is very tasty. Lots of different flavors going on. It is not a very firm patty but it holds together and is easy to eat whether you use a bun or not.
What makes this even better? It's full of Vit B6, Vit A, fibre, zinc, lots of good stuff!
My teenage daughter and I really enjoyed these, as did Jo. My husband, not so much, but he is not a fan of veggie burgers to begin with.
Oh, yeah, my nutritional count is for 6 patties. You could probably even make 8 patties out of this recipe. The 6 were fairly large patties.
 
Be sure to stop by Ms. enPlace and The Chicken Chick and A Humble Bumble for some great links!

6 comments:

  1. wow I want to come to dinner at one of your houses. Looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum-- these look delicious! Not to mention fairly easy. I have to admit that making veggie burgers always cared me because I was sure it would be very difficult. What I would love to do is make some of these and freeze so I could grab one for lunch. Do you think they would freeze well? Before or after cooking? I struggle with eating healthy lunches, sigh.

    Thank you so much for linking up to Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop. :-) Happy Tuesday.
    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These freeze well after cooking (I have not tried them before cooking). I microwave it for about a minute to almost completely thaw it and then throw it in the toaster oven to reheat and crisp up a bit. :)

      Delete
  3. 213? You are so nice! These look great and I like that they can be frozen. I think I'll steak Kerry's idea and freeze them for lunches.
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! And wow, the healthy things it's filled with. Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble. :)

    ReplyDelete