Monday, January 7, 2013

Portuguese Style Chicken Drumettes and Salt & Vinegar Potatoes

 
Want something for dinner that is different than the usual? Have I got a deal for you.
These drumettes are crazy good.
I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to Portuguese style cooking but, if this is what it is like, then I am moving to Portugal. I found this amazing recipe over at Dragon's Kitchen. I am definitely adding it to my favorite's list.
And the potatoes?
Oh.
My.
Goodness.
I may just become a potato-tarian. That's a thing, right?
The flavor is like salt & vinegar potato chips but crispy on the outside, squishy on the inside. Sue found the recipe a while ago and raved about how good it was. I only got around to trying it now. I love that it is such an unusual way to prepare potatoes.
Serve these two dishes with a side of salad or veggies (green beans would be good!) and you have a dinner that I guarantee will be out of the usual - in a totally amazing way.
 
 
Portguese Style Chicken Drumettes
(Ever-so-slightly adapted from Dragon's Kitchen)
 
Ingredients
2 large garlic cloves
2 medium bay leaves, crumbled
2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp coarse sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs uncooked chicken drumettes (about 25)
 
Directions
Place garlic, bay leaves, paprika, salt, pepper, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until you have a paste.
 
 
Scrape paste into a ziplock bag and add in the chicken drumettes. Squish around until evenly covered. Marinate at least several hours - better overnight.
 
 
When ready to cook - remove chicken from fridge and place on cookie sheet lined with lightly sprayed tinfoil. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
 
 
Preheat broiler.
Broil the chicken about 6 inches from the heat. Broil 10 - 15 minutes, until nicely browned, and then turn over and broil 10 more minutes. (It may take less time depending on your oven.)
Serve hot.
 
 
Salt and Vinegar Potatoes
 
Ingredients
5 medium to large potatoes, scrubbed and peeled (or not)
2 - 3 cups vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
black pepper
 
Directions
Preheat broiler. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
Cut potatoes into chunks - if using new potatoes then simply cut in half. Place in a large pot and pour in the vinegar (enough to cover potatoes).
Boil until potatoes are fork tender but still a little firm.
Drain off vinegar. Toss potatoes with oil and salt and pepper. Spread out on cookie sheet.
 
 
(As you can see from the photo - I used a mix of large potatoes and new potatoes. It worked fine.)
Broil for 5 minutes about 6 inches from heat. You want the potatoes to be browned. Flip potatoes over and broil another 5 minutes.
Serve hot.
 
 
Now, if you want to prepare the two dishes together here is what I did.
Step 1: Spread out the marinated chicken on the prepared cookie sheet.
Step 2: Boil potatoes in vinegar. Drain, toss with oil and salt & pepper, and spread out on 2nd prepare cookie sheet.
Step 3: Place chicken in oven under broiler. Place potatoes in oven on bottom rack.
Step 4: Broil chicken about 8 minutes on each side.
Step 5: Switch the potatoes to under the broiler and place the chicken on the bottom rack.
Step 6: Broil potatoes for about 5 minutes on each side (until browned).
 
I worked out the nutritional info on the drumettes:
Per drumette it is - 65 calories, 4.78 fat, 0.24 carbs, 5.1 protein.
For the potatoes:
For 1 medium/large potato - 280 calories, 0.4 fat, 60 carbs, 5 protein.
Total: So, for the meal I had (6 drumettes and 1 potato) it was=
670 calories, 29.1 fat, 61.4 carbs, and 35.6 protein. (This is an approximation using Fitday so don't take it as gospel.)
 
I really hope you give these a try. The chicken is to-die-for and the potatoes are just so crazy that you can't help but love them!
 
Don't forget to visit The Rustic Pig and Adorned From Above and Let This Mind Be In You and Hun...What's For Dinner and Carol's Chatter for some great links!

12 comments:

  1. I think I have to make these potatoes for dinner tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should :) Let us know what you think of them!

      Delete
  2. Oh, both recipes look amazing! My potatoes never turn out looking that beautiful and golden brown!

    Thanks for sharing on Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest #15!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These potatoes look delicious. They would make a great side dish for my meal plan service. I wonder if you could cook them in the microwave for the first "round" of cooking in the vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow those potatoes look fantastic! I will be definitely trying them for dinner!

    http://lillymint.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter would LOVE these potatoes and the wings look awesome too! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are yummy! I may just become a potato-tarian too! Portuguese Chicken Style is indeed to die for, specially when you use the meatiest poultry, artfully cooked and served with hot sauce. :-)

    Carlo Mash

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I made these drumettes for lunch - I didnt have the time for marinating but anyway they turned out so, so delicious!!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing!!!
    Blessings,
    Nadya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you use white vinegar or cider vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used regular white vinegar. I imagine you could use cider but that would completely change the taste :)

      Delete
  9. This recipe sounds amazing! When doing both chicken and potatoes together, what temp do you have oven on bottom rack?
    Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To cook both I just turned the oven to broil. I believe broil is 500 degrees but am not 100%. I just hit the "broil" button and let it go. I don't actually have to set a temperature when using broil.

      Delete