Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cornflake, Peanut Butter, Butterscotch Pizzas

 
As you may be able to deduce from the above photo, I was having a bit of a sweet craving.
I have been doing very well with my healthy eating and figured a bit of a sweet treat couldn't hurt. Especially since I could donate most of it to Kenzie's bake sale and only eat a little bit.
Turns out having a bake sale to bake for saved me.
This was so tasty. Left to my own devices I probably would have devoured the whole recipe.
Cornflakes, peanut butter, butterscotch, chocolate, and nuts.......what's not to love?
 
 
Cornflake, Peanut Butter, Butterscotch Pizzas
 
Ingredients
Crust
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups cornflakes
 
Pizza "Sauce"
1 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
2 cups butterscotch chips
 
Toppings
M&M peanuts
chopped pecans
mini chocolate chips
chocolate ice cream topping
 
Directions
Combine brown sugar and corn syrup in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter.
Fold in cornflakes until evenly coated.
Drop into 4 equal blobs on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap. Press the blobs into flattened circles about 6 - 7 inches across. (It helps to coat your hands with cooking spray or butter to prevent sticking!)
 
 
Let set for about 15 minutes to solidify.
To make "sauce" - Cream butter until soft and fluffy. Melt butterscotch chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each 30 seconds, until smooth.
Beat melted chips and icing sugar into the butter until smooth.
Scoop about 1/4 cup of the "sauce" onto each pizza and spread evenly to within 1/2 inch of the edges. (You will have leftover "sauce" - I used it to frost some chocolate cupcakes I had)
Before the butterscotch frosting sets, sprinkle with toppings and drizzle with a little chocolate ice cream topping.
 
 
You can serve now or chill for a few minutes to help everything set. These are fine at room temp too.
Some other topping ideas would be: nuts, marshmallows, smarties, sprinkles, chopped chocolate bars, etc..
 
 
The crust is crispy/chewy and the butterscotch frosting "sauce" is amazing.
Be prepared to head into sugar coma territory.
I made these into pizzas for the bake sale because I thought they would look cute (they are cute!) but you could also make this and press it into a 9 X 13 pan.
It definitely helped with my sweet cravings.
I know...I know... I should try harder to eat "healthier" sweets.
I do.
Normally.
Nothing wrong with a little indulgence now and then.
Especially with this creation....you get everything in one go.
Oh, and a side note, with your leftover butterscotch frosting "sauce", if you store it in the fridge for a while you will have to warm it up a bit before you use it. I microwaved it for a few seconds but you could also place it over a bowl of simmering water and let it warm up that way. Simply stir until smooth and spreadable.
 
Stop by My Turn (for us) and Memories By The Mile for some fabulous links!

2 comments:

  1. You need to take part in a contest for one of the greatest sites on
    the internet. I'm going to highly recommend this website!

    Look into my blog post: Christian Louboutin Sale

    ReplyDelete