Monday, July 2, 2012

Saskatoon Pie


Our first Saskatoon harvest of the year! We usually make jelly or jam but, unfortunately, the birds helped themselves to a lot of the berries already. We did have enough, however, to whip up a pie and some Fresh Saskatoon Cookies (Update: click HERE for the cookie recipe)
Saskatoons are also known as Serviceberries in the U.S.. The local First Nations people call them Tsaqwem.


Whatever you call them, they are delicious!


Fresh Saskatoon Pie

Ingredients
4 cups Saskatoons (fresh)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
scant 3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
(1/2 Tbsp more flour for sprinkling)
sprinkle of cinnamon
enough PIE DOUGH for 1 - 9 inch double pie crust

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out dough and line a 9" pie pan with bottom crust. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring berries and water to a boil. Simmer for approx 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and 3 Tbsp flour. Stir into berries. Set aside.


Sprinkle remaining 1/2 Tbsp flour into bottom of pie crust.


Pour berries into crust. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.


Top with remaining pie crust and cut a slit for steam to escape.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake another 35 - 45 minutes. Until crust is golden brown.


Remove from heat and let cool on wire rack.


Ooooooh! Close up of the flakiness!
Are you drooling yet?

Now, pie is not my favorite sweet thing to eat. I love cake and cookies.
BUT...that being said....this was really, really, really good pie.
It set up to the perfect consistency. Yay!
Maybe you need one more photo to see the evidence -


Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
You know you want some.

Stop by Blissful and Domestic and Cookin and Craftin for some great links!
My Turn (for us) and Carole's Chatter also have some fun links...

11 comments:

  1. I have never heard of saskatoons. I learn so much from all my bloggy friends. These do look so yummy and I have to go check out your pie crust, it looks perfect! Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Saskatoon pie. I am fortunate enough to have 35 bushes (very big bushes) and usually get about 20 or so gallons of this delicious fruit. I am going to try your Saskatoon cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they like Blueberries?? Looks Yummy! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope to see you again this week!! Love having you!! Pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are kind of like blueberries... but different. lol. Same in texture and appearance but not really flavor. :)

      Delete
  4. Now I feel like I really need to try a saskatoon. I have never heard of them, but now feel like I am really missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had friends over, that is when I was told that the six foot bush in the corner of my garden loaded with berries, was in fact a Saskatoon berry bush.We only have owned the house four years. Now to use them in my cooking. They taste so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are using them now! Aren't they delicious?! :)

      Delete
  6. Can you use this same recipe for frozen Saskatoon berries ??? I was gifted a pail of frozen berries !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever used fresh berries. That being said, you can make blueberry pie from frozen blueberries so frozen saskatoons should work. Please let us know if you give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Hello! I love baking pies. Have you ever heard of adding sugar with your flour mixture to act as a barrier for the fruit. I recently made a rhubarb pie ,after many sad attempts ,found it to be the best one with little troubles like doughy or just too runny.Also not cooked ahead! So when I read your recipe with uncooked berries also I will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete