Monday, June 30, 2014

Rhubarb Relish


Here is a good example of something tasting delicious but looking...well....looking like it wouldn't taste delicious. 
It's brown and lumpy and just plain not pretty. 
I didn't have high expectations for this when I was canning it but, I have to tell you, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I made it and brought it in for Jo and the family to try and they all loved it too.
My mother-in-law gave me the recipe and encouraged me to try it to use up the mountains of rhubarb we had this year. 
I'm glad I tried it. This goes really well with pork and beef and, when Jo made her Baked Chicken Samosas (recipe HERE), it was superb with that as well. We also put some in our Bacon Cheeseburger Pop Tarts to add some zing!


Rhubarb Relish

Ingredients
6 cups chopped rhubarb
4 cups chopped onions
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
2 cups apple cider vinegar

Directions
Chop up rhubarb and onion. 


Place in large pot and add spices, brown sugar, and vinegar.


Stir together well.


Place over medium - high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat so mixture stays at a simmer and cook approximately 40 - 60 minutes, stirring often.


After 40 (to 60) minutes relish is ready to use. You can either let cool and refrigerate or you can can the relish while it is at this stage. 
Follow regular canning instructions to finish processing. (I processed the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.)


I believe I got 7 - 1 cup jars of rhubarb relish out of this recipe. 
I thought it was going to be too sweet for me but it wasn't. It was something really different. Tons of flavor that goes great with soooooo many things. 
Try it on your hot dogs and hamburgers, roasts, turkey, maybe even a little on a cracker with some cream cheese, or even as a dip for samosas, egg rolls, and whatever else you can think of!

We're sharing at these great linky parties - Memories By The Mile, Anyonita Nibbles, Hun...What's For Dinner, 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! And I've got a bumper crop of rhubarb in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! And I've got a bumper crop of rhubarb in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That almost sounds like a chutney! We'll have to try making some and then I can can some

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really amazing recipe! I actually used 3 cups rhubarb and 3 cups pears with skin on. After cooking and slightly cooled, I then blitzed it with a stick mixer into a puree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always had this with pork instead of applesauce..... So good ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish recipe. I omitted the allspice but added 2 tsp of cumin instead and 1 tsp of chilli powder as well as the cayenne. Absolutely beautiful with an Indian curry. I love the fact that there are no sultanas or raisins. Great way to use up my lovely excess rhubarb. Thanks for sharing……Deb 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I substitute honey for the brown sugar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you use frozen rhubarb

    ReplyDelete