Monday, April 21, 2014

Low Carb Low Cal Waffles


I was pretty excited by how these turned out. The batter was thinner than I was hoping but the end product was better than I had expected. I made these in a silicone waffle pan that bakes in the oven but I am certain these would work in a regular waffle maker or even in a skillet as pancakes.  (Update - see below for pics of ones I made in my Belgian waffle maker) 
This makes 6 waffles, each 67 calories, 6 carbs, 3 fat, and 5 protein.
I make 3 waffles one serving so - 200 calories, 19 carbs, 8 fat, and 15 protein per serving. 
Add on 2 chopped strawberries and a tablespoon of maple syrup and you have breakfast for 250 calories, 29 carbs, 8 fat, and 15 protein. 
That works for me, thank you very much. 
Oh, by the way, these are also gluten free if you are worried about gluten!


Low Carb Low Cal Waffles

Ingredients
1/2 cup 0 fat Greek yogurt, plain
2 eggs
3 Tbsp 1% milk
2 pkgs Sugar Twin Stevia 
2 Tbsp ground flax 
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray silicone waffle pan with cooking spray, set aside.
In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, eggs, and milk until smooth. 
In a smaller mixing bowl, stir together Stevia, flax, cornstarch, cinnamon, and baking powder.  


Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth.


Pour evenly into prepared pan. 


Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes, until tops are browned and waffles have risen.


Carefully invert waffles onto cookie sheet.


Place back in oven and turn on broiler. Broil until tops are well browned and appear dry. About 5 minutes - keep an eye on them.


Serve hot with your favorite toppings. 
Only 67 calories per waffle... how awesome is that? I ate 3 and then froze 3. I reheated the frozen ones in the toaster oven (from frozen) and they turned out just perfect. 
These are great for breakfast or brunch or for when you want breakfast for dinner. They are also awesome little snacks for any time of day!



**UPDATE** - I made these in my Belgian waffles maker and they turned out fabulous! The recipe above made 2 Belgian (large) waffles. Recipe can easily be doubled to make 4 Belgian waffles! 


They are even crispier made in the waffle iron.


As pictured above - 1 Belgian waffle, 2 Tbsp whipping cream, 2 Tbsp no sugar syrup, and a few blueberries - breakfast for under 300 calories. Whaaaat whaaaat!! 

5 comments:

  1. Can you use this in a waffle maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should work in a waffle maker. My only concern is that the batter is quite thin - I think it if you left out some or all of the milk the batter would be thicker and it may work better. As soon as I get my waffle maker back I will give it a try and update the blog. (If you give it a go - please let us know how it worked for you)

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks. I'll give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I love waffles! I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete