Friday, February 1, 2013

Steak with Mustard & Greek Yogurt Sauce AND Baked Zucchini Chips

 
I don't often eat steak. Probably because I always end up overcooking it. I didn't this time though!
Yay! (I used a meat thermometer this time)
It was tender and I absolutely loved it with the mustard yogurt sauce I came up with. The huge mound of zucchini chips on the side were an added bonus.
A large, delicious, healthy, fairly easy dinner in about 40 minutes for under 400 calories.
Crazy, right?
Pure awesomeness.
I can't wait to try the sauce on chicken (or fish).
 
 
Steak with Mustard & Greek Yogurt Sauce
 
Ingredients
1 tsp dry mustard
salt & pepper
2 tsp cornstarch
7 Tbsp milk
2 tsp prepared mustard
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt, plain
1 clove garlic, minced
2 X 5 oz Eye Of Round Steaks, cooked to preferred stage
 
Directions
In a small saucepan, whisk together dry mustard, salt & pepper, and cornstarch. Place over medium heat and gradually whisk in milk. Stir and cook until thickened.
 
 
Remove from heat and whisk in prepared mustard, Greek yogurt, and garlic.
Serve warm over cooked steak.
And for the zucchini chips:
 
 
Baked Zucchini Chips
 
Ingredients
1 medium zucchini
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Panko crumbs
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
Slice the zucchini into about 1/4 inch slices. Toss in a bowl with the beaten egg white until all pieces are well coated.
 
 
In a shallow bowl or baking dish, mix together Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and spices.
Take the zucchini slices, one at a time, and toss in the crumbs - making sure to coat each side. Place on cookie sheet in a single layer.
 
 
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Flip each slice over and bake a further 10 - 12 minutes, until nicely browned and crispy.
Serve hot.
 
 
According to Myfitnesspal the nutritional breakdown is:
Per 5 oz steak and 1/2 of sauce: 230 calories, 6 carbs, 14 fat, 33 protein
Per entire recipe of zucchini chips: 165 calories, 22 carbs, 3 fat, 12 protein.
That's like 395 calories!!
Aaaaaaah!
Plus, trust me when I say, if you eat a whole zucchini you will be full - let alone a whole zucchini AND a steak smothered in sauce.
 
Be sure to visit The Chicken Chick and Country Living On A Hill  for some great links!

9 comments:

  1. I've got to try these zucchini chips. I tried some that I found on Pinterest and they just didn't work out so well, but these look great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristie- I have to try these zucchini chips! Now to just remember them in the middle of summer when my zucchini plants are going crazy. I always need new creative ways to use it up.

    Thanks for linking up to our Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop- so glad to have you along!
    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those zucchini chips look so good! And I love how Greek yogurt can be used in such a variety of recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous job on those zucchini chips! Like Kristie up there I also tried zucchini chips from pinterest. lol please read my blog. You'll get a good laugh!
    I'm a big fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the photo of the crispy zucchini chips! Too funny :) Gotta love those recipes that just don't turn out like they do on Pinterest!

      Delete
  5. I love this mustard sauce looks yummy, Do you think it would go well with regular grilled steaks and grilled salmon fillets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy! We have a abundance of zucchini in our garden. This recipe looks easy and yummy. I have all the ingredients, so we will be having this for supper!! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete