Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb and Strawberry Blueberry Jam

Strawberry Rhubarb on top, Strawberry Blueberry on the bottom

I like making jam (I also enjoying eating it – surprised?). The process isn’t that hard but it does take planning and preparedness. Making jam makes me feel like some king of evil super genius scientist working in a laboratory. You know, all that stirring and staring at bubbling pots of things with little glass jars lined up on the counter.
Sue and I are a great canning team! Working together the process goes very smoothly and quickly. She stirs, I pour, she fills, I grab lids. If you are working solo it is not too bad either, it’s just that it is a lot more fun when there is someone helping.
We decided to do strawberry jam this week because I am on a bit of a strawberry kick of late. They were also on sale at the grocery store so it worked out well! By changing the recipe a smidge we got two completely different jams that both have really nice color and flavour.
.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Ingredients
2 cups crushed strawberries
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 box Certo pectin crystals
5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
Directions
Measure all ingredients out ahead of time as you won't have time once you get started.
In a large saucepan, stir together strawberries and rhubarb, and Certo pectin crystals. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add all the sugar. Return to a hard boil for 1 minute.
(While you wait you can tent your fingers together and raise one eyebrow while – with your best maniacal laugh – say, “Bwah ha ha! Yes, yes, everything is coming together nicely. My plan will soon be complete.”)
Remove from heat. Stir and skim for 5 minutes. Pour into hot, sterilized jars to 1/4 inch from rim. Cover with warm lids and screw rings on tightly.


 
Strawberry Blueberry Jam

Ingredients
4 cups crushed strawberries
1 cup lightly crushed blueberries
1 box Certo pectin crystals
6 cups granulated sugar

Directions
Exactly as listed above for the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam.

I am a beginner when it comes to canning but I am learning. There is a fancy schmancy fruit cocktail recipe I am dying to try (just need to convince Sue to help me). I hope to work my way up to pressure canning and do meats of some kind (Sue has already told me she won't be helping me with the pressure canning - she has issues with canned meat). There are so many really cool recipes out there. Feel free to share your favourites !!

6 comments:

  1. Did you pressure cook to seal the jars? How long is the shelf life?

    Thank You
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe many people recommend a boiling water bath to help seal the jars after you have put the lids on. We usually do not do this with out jam. Usually the heat from the jam will seal the jar and the shelf life is several months or longer. If you want to be sure about the seal then I would recommend a boiling water bath

      Delete
    2. I have since done some research and it is definitely recommended that you do a boiling water bath to ensure a complete, tight seal. :) Hope that helps.

      Delete
    3. Perfect Thank you so much!!

      Jill

      Delete
  2. I am new to canning and would like to try the Strawberry Rhubarb jam. How many jars are needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I believe I got 12 1/2 cup jars and 1 1 cup jar out of the recipe. It's always good to have a few extra on hand - just in case. :)

      Delete