Sunday, January 19, 2014

Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal (single serving)


I never thought this day would come. 
The day I have to stop my oatmeal bashing ways and admit that I like oatmeal. 
Let me quantify my admission by saying I still don't like other oatmeal. I just like this oatmeal. 
I will even go so far to say that I LOVE this oatmeal. 
I can hardly believe it either. 
I did not have high expectations for this recipe as... well... it's oatmeal and oatmeal is yucky. BUT after I had one bite I was hooked. My insides were like "Jo what has taken you so long to eat this deliciousness?"
Seriously.
If you've never made this variation of oatmeal - DO IT! 
DO IT NOW!
I'm pretty sure this is what my breakfasts are going to consist of for the next millennium.


Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal (single serving)

Ingredients
1 banana, diced
1/2 Tbsp peanut butter, light
1/3 cup Quaker Quick Oats
1 tsp flax
2/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Toppings
1/2 Tbsp peanut butter, light
1 Tbsp maple syrup
2 small slices of banana

Directions
In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the diced banana until banana is fragrant and softened - about 2 - 3 minutes. Reserve a couple of slices of banana to place on top, if desired. 


Add in peanut butter, oats, flax, water, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Let mixture come to a boil, lower heat and simmer until oats are tender and liquid is absorbed. (Depending on which kinds of oats you use, this could take between 3 mins for quick oats - 8 mins for regular oats.)


Scoop into serving bowl and top with the other 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter and reserved banana slices. 


Then drizzle with the maple syrup.


According to Myfitnesspal the nutritional count for this recipe (it's one serving):
370 calories, 67 carbs, 9 fat, and 8 protein. 
I'm tempted to ramble on and on about how good this is but I don't want to over do it and then have someone be disappointed when they try it.
 That being said...OH. MY. GOODNESS. 
Would it be wrong for me to say I just want to crawl into the bowl with this amazingness and never come out?

**UPDATE** - I ran out of bananas but still wanted to eat this so I made it with an apple!


I made it exactly the same way except I put a 2 Tbsp of water in with the apples while they cooked.


They took a minute or two longer than the banana did. Cook them to your own personal preference for squishiness. 
Then you continue making it exactly the same way as the banana version.
It is also amazing!!



For tons of fun food & craft links be sure to visit these great blogs - Memories By The Mile, Anyonita Nibbles, Chef In Training, Table For Seven.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on disdaining oatmeal, although I do like homemade peaches and cream oatmeal........very occasionally. Still, this looks tasty enough I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete