Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken Corn Chowder (Low Calorie)


Our other sister, Orra, used to always make this amazing corn chowder years ago. She lost track of the recipe but was able to tell me some of the ingredients. I took the ingredients she gave me and went from there. This is a creamy, filling, delicious, perfect-for-a-lunch-or-dinner meal.
And, the nutritional count is just crazy. 
I mean, for a 2 CUP SERVING it is 200 calories, 37 carbs, 1 fat, and 14 protein -- according to Myfitnesspal. I got 5, 2 cup servings out of the recipe.
I am not a huge soup lover but this doesn't even feel like soup. It feels like you are eating a casserole. 
Really, it's that filling.


Chicken Corn Chowder (Low Calorie)

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts (8 oz total) boneless, skinless, diced small
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 orange, bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 cup corn
1 can (398 ml) creamed corn
1 medium potato, peel on, diced small
1 can Carnation Fat Free Evaporated Milk 
2 Tbsp cornstarch
salt & pepper

Directions
In a large saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat, cook and stir chicken, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic until onion starts to soften and chicken is no longer pink. Add in the cumin, thyme, parsley and bay leaf, stir to mix well.


Add in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. 
Add in corn, creamed corn, and potato. 
Return to simmer for another 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
In a small bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into the soup and return to a simmer.
Remove the bay leaf.
Simmer until thickened, 2 - 3 minutes. 
Season with salt & pepper. Serve hot.


I love how big the servings are for ONLY 200 calories.
*gasp*
Plus it tastes amazing!
We're all about quality AND quantity with this recipe!

Looking for some tasty and/or crafty links? Check out -- Adorned From Above, My Sweet Mission, Dizzy Busy & Hungry, and Easy Life and Carole's Chatter 

13 comments:

  1. I love corn chowder. Wow! Only 200 calories. This recipe is a definite keeper. So glad I found you via the Wine'd Down Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Crazy. I even checked it twice with Myfitnesspal :)

      Delete
  2. I make a chicken & corn chowder soup for my husband and this sounds a lot more healthy than mine! I am going to give this a try and hope he doesn't notice he is eating something healthy (that's right I have to be sneaky otherwise I would get a resounding no - he hates change or the mention of healthy food)! Thanks so much for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck lol please let us know how it turns out for you! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Jo & Sue, your Chicken Corn Chowder is one of the Top Features from last week's Sweet Wednesday Link Party! This recipe has also been pinned to my "Features from Sweet Wednesday Link Party" board: http://www.pinterest.com/mysweetmission/features-from-sweet-wednesday-link-party/

    Thanks for linking up last week, I appreciate you!
    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this, mine looks nothing like your pictures.. did you even use the spices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why it would look totally different? We used the recipe as written above verbatim. Did you make any changes? In what way did it look so different?

      Delete
    2. i made it exactly like the recipe.. you can see the dried thyme and dried parsley in mine.. it pretty much litters the chowder.. i cant see any in yours, unless you used ground thyme and ground parsley?

      Delete
    3. Hmmm... I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Our thyme and parsley is fairly fine - that could be the culprit!

      Delete
    4. probably.. it is delicious though!! i just made my second batch :) so good

      Delete
  5. is it a small can of evaporated milk or the 12 oz size? i have a large can and i don't want to mess it up!

    ReplyDelete