Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pasta Carbonara For One

 
Last night for dinner I was getting pretty desperate.
I sat, staring at the fridge for about 10 minutes before deciding there was nothing there I could eat.
Then I stared at the pantry.
Then the cupboards all had their turn.
Then I went back to the fridge.
I hate it when I have left my planning too late and I am starving. It puts me in forage mode.
In case you don't know what that is because you are one of those people that actually plans things out... forage mode is where anything that isn't nailed down has the potential to be eaten.   
 I wanted something that would fill me up and make me feel like I had actualy eaten a meal...so...a peanut butter sandwich just wasn't going to cut it.
Here is where I discovered how putting together 5 common household food items can transform a panicked last minute search into a fancy schmancy meal.
In under 15 minutes...if you can believe that...
I mean... being able to make something as delicious as this pasta in under 15 minutes...that's pretty sweet.
**suh-weeeeeet**
Plus (as if you needed another reason to make this) it makes just enough for one thereby saving you the temptation of eating and eating and eating until you explode.
 
 
Pasta Carbonara For One
 
Ingredients
2 oz pasta (I used linguini)
1 piece bacon, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper
pinch garlic salt
1 egg
1 Tbsp 1% milk
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded (divided)
 
Directions
In a medium pot, bring enough water to a boil to cook 2 oz of pasta. When water is boiling, add pasta and cook until desired consistency is reached.
While pasta is boiling - cook bacon in a medium frying pan. When bacon is cooked but not crispy, drain off half of the oil. Return pan to heat and add garlic and spices to the bacon. Cook until garlic has softened and is fragrant, and bacon is crispy.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and 1 Tbsp of cheese. Set aside.
To combine pasta - drain pasta in a strainer. Stir pasta into the pan with the bacon and garlic. Toss to combine. Pour back into pot and place on the burner it was cooked on. (The burner should be shut off now!) Slowly drizzle in egg/milk/cheese mixture, tossing and stirring constantly for about 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from burner and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp cheese.Serve hot.
 
 
The egg is cooked by the hot pasta. You must keep stirring the pasta as you add the egg mixture though so the egg doesn't scramble.
I can't even tell you how amazing this tasted for how easy it is. 
I know...I know.... you are thinking it only tasted good because I was so desperate I was considering eating the ketchup packets in the fridge.
No.
That is not true at all.
Well...the ketchup packet thing may be true...but this is amazing for completely different reasons.
I looked it up on Fitday and I thought the values were pretty good:
Calories - 282
Fat - 13.4
Carbs - 21
Protein - 18.7
Yeah. Like 300 calories for that.
*Boom* mind blown.
You could pair this with a lovely salad or some roasted veggies. Well, if you are on the ball and happen to plan things a little ahead of time you could.
If not...just throw this together in a hurry and you will be able to eat in under 15 minutes.
 
Stop by Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons for some fun food and crafting links!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I know my son would love this, anything with pasta and bacon is already a winner in his book. So when you half cook the bacon and then drain the pan...at what point do you finish cooking and chopping up the bacon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you return the pan to the heat and add the garlic....return the bacon to the pan as well to finish cooking. I chopped the bacon when it was raw. ( I will adjust my instructions to be clearer! Thank you)

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite dishes ever! So satisfying!

    ReplyDelete