Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quinoa Spinach Soup


This recipe is great for those days when you are running late, things aren't done, you are starving, tired, and don't feel like preparing anything. From start to finish I believe it took me 30 minutes. Not too shabby for dinner or lunch rush. This is also great if you are trying to watch your weight. Loads of veggies, spinach, and healthy quinoa make this a filling choice. I tried to work out the calories per serving and I believe it was close to 130 calories for a cup and a half. (Don't quote me on that but I think I'm pretty close.)
Plus, this is a great vegetarian choice if you are going meatless. (Although I am thinking it would be fantastic if you added tiny meatballs or spicy sausage bits to it but that would add some time and calories to this recipe.)



Quinoa Spinach Soup

Ingredients
1 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 large carrot, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
3 cups spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
salt & pepper

Directions
Bring water to a boil. Stir in quinoa, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broth, onion, carrot, and zucchini. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until veggies are done.
Stir in spinach and allow to wilt in soup.
Salt and pepper to taste.

A couple of notes - I used Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix mixed with 4 cups of water for the broth.
I also used closer to 4 cups of chopped spinach as I wanted to use up what I had.

There you have it. Super fast, super easy, super tasty! Three things I love in a meal.
I apologize for the foggy photos - I was in a hurry to eat and couldn't wait for it to cool enough for the steam to clear. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment