Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chili Macaroni Biscuits



Looking for something to throw at the kids after school? Or maybe pack into a lunch? Or, maybe you just want a quick and easy dinner idea.
One of the many email newsletters I get weekly had this idea for a meal in a muffin tin. I believe it was Pillsbury or Kraft. As soon as I saw the photos of pasta and cheese and chili baked in a biscuit I knew I had to give it a try. They had different combinations as well (ie: a lasagna in a muffin tin biscuit) but this one spoke to me.
"Jo," It said, "you need more carbs in your diet. You should make me. I'm delicious."
Who am I to argue with food?


Chili Macaroni Biscuits

Ingredients
1 box macaroni and cheese dinner (I used KD)
butter and milk as per macaroni and cheese dinner instructions
1 can (15 oz) chili
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
2 cans Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
Stir in chili and 1/2 cup cheese.
Separate the two cans of dough into 20 biscuits. Press each biscuit into muffin tin, making sure it goes up side of cup. Fill with macaroni mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.


Bake at 350 for about 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes then remove from pan.

It's that simple. I managed to get 2 dozen cups out of this recipe instead of just 20 because I trimmed a little dough off each biscuit round and squished it into 4 more. It worked great.
I want to try this now with spiral pasta, spaghetti sauce, sausage meat, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese - as per the lasagna cup idea. I'm guessing there is a bazillion different ideas you could try. Sue doesn't like the biscuits from Pillsbury (*cough* wierd *cough) so I am thinking of maybe trying it with the croissant dough.
Simple. Fast. Tasty. Great after school/lunch snack.
All things we like in a recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment