Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sweet and Salty, Chewy, Crunchy Bars

Photo from Taste of Home (http://www.tasteofhome.com/)

I am the kind of girl who can sit down and eat a bucket of cookie dough or a bazillion chocolate bars (a bazillion may be a bit of an exaggeration but you see where I am going with this.) I am addicted to sweets. I can admit it. Sugar is my one fault.
 - Really? One fault? Riiiiiiight......(It's me, Sue, in italics, in case you are wondering. I had to interject on this one. Someone has to tell the truth about Jo)
ANYWAYS.....as I was saying. I am all about sweets but there are those people who prefer savoury. I never really understood them. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy savoury foods but, come on, who can choose anything over chocolate? Sue does. She's a potato chip girl. Weird, right?
 - No, it's not weird. I'm just sweet enough already.
Okay, we are not here to debate how people who don't prefer sweets are wrong. (Because they are.)
- No, we're not wrong. You're wrong.....and weird.
We are here to discuss this delicious recipe that combines the perfect amount of sweet and salty (and also chewy and crunchy - but that is another debate entirely) so we can have the best of both worlds. *Cue angels singing*
We tweaked this recipe just a tiny bit from a recipe in Taste Of Home Fall Baking Magazine. (2009)

Sweet and Salty, Crunchy, Chewy Bars

Ingredients
2 cups corn chips, lightly crushed, divided
2 cups salted peanuts, divided
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter

Directions
Place half of the corn chips and half of the peanuts in a greased 9 X 9 pan, set aside. In a large saucepan, bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil. Stir in peanut butter until blended. Drizzle half over corn chip mixture in pan.
Add remaining corn chips and peanuts to remaining syrup; stir until smooth. Spoon over mixture in pan, press down lightly. Cool before cutting.
Yield: 2 dozen.
Now enjoy the peace and tranquillity that comes from knowing sweet and salty can coexist in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment