Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Keto Fries

 


Hello! It's been a while. 
Sue and I have been away from the blog for a few months but, not to worry, we're trying to get back to posting more! I thought I would share this amazing find as our welcome back recipe.
A 2 ingredient side dish for all of you keto, low carb, gluten free, just-like-to-try-new-things peeps out there! I was absolutely blown away by how much these taste like potato. It's weeeeeird! I'm not going to over hype it.... but I am going to say you have to try them to believe it! I also love how crispy these are. Obviously not exactly like a regular, potato fry but if you are trying to lower your carbs then it is a fabulous alternative. 
Please let us know if you give them a try! I'm anxious to see if anyone else loves them as much as I do!


Keto Fries

Ingredients
1/2 cup + scant 1/3 cup (100 gr) almond flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
6 Tbsp boiling water
oil for frying

Optional
salt
seasoning salt

Directions
Stir together the almond flour and xanthan gum with a spatula, make sure to break up any lumps.
Add in the boiling water and stir until smooth dough forms. Knead dough about 5 or 6 turns. The dough will be quite sticky so if you have trouble just put a little teeny of oil on your hands. Place in bowl, cover, and let rest about 15 minutes.


Place dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 40 skinny finger shapes. 


Heat oil in a deep pan to 330 degrees. Carefully place about 1/3 of the fries into the hot oil. Cook for about 1 minute per side, until golden brown.


 Carefully remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place in bowl lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining fries.


Toss with salt or seasoning salt, if desired. Serve hot. 


Keto peeps, no more missing those french fries! My favorite way to eat them is with sugar free ketchup but gravy is always good too! 


FYI - leftovers heat up very well. I placed mine in an airtight container with a piece of paper towel in the bottom in the fridge overnight. The next day I preheated the oven to 400, placed the fries on a cookie sheet, and heated for about 5 minutes. They were still crispy!
They also freeze well! I froze them in an airtight container lined with paper towel then when I wanted to eat them I preheated the oven to 400 and cooked them on a cookie sheet for about 5 - 8 minutes. Still crispy! 
These are super simple to make, the only thing that can be annoying is how sticky the dough is! You can always add a sprinkle of almond flour when you are rolling it out but it will add more carbs so be careful how much you use!
Nutritional counts per serving (Makes 3 servings of about 13 fries each): 240 calories, 16.4 fat, 20 carbs, 16.6 fiber, 7 protein. That's 3.4 NET CARBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment