Saturday, September 15, 2012

Zucchini Brownie (Low Fat!)


I know the first thing you saw in that picture was the cute piggy glass of milk. It's okay that you briefly overlooked those delicious chocolatey brownies.
You can go back now and ogle the brownies.
Want to know something about those brownies?
No.
Added.
Fat.
That's what I said. NO butter, NO oil, nada.
The secret to these bad boys is shredded zucchini, apple sauce, and mashed bananas. WAIT! Don't run away screaming. They don't taste like funky zucchini and apple banana brownies. They taste like.....wait for it.....chocolate brownies.
I know right.
How is that even possible?
I am going to go out on a limb here and assume it is some kind of voodoo. I find it best not to ask about these magical recipes.


Zucchini Brownie (Low Fat)

Ingredients
1/2 cup applesauce (I used Mott's Fruitsation)
3/4 cup mashed banana
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 Tbsp flax
2 cups zucchini, shredded
2 cups flour
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 Tbsp mini M&Ms

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper leaving a bit hanging over the sides as handles, spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, banana, and sugar. Stir in vanilla and cocoa until mixed.Then add baking soda, salt, flax, and zucchini and stir together. Add flour and pecans and stir until completely mixed in.
Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with M&Ms.


Bake for 25 minutes, until brownie springs back when lightly touched. Don't overbake.


Mmmmmmm.....chocolate.
Let me tell you something to make these even better:
118 calories, 2.5 fat, 23 carbs, 2.2 protein.
That's per serving if you cut this into 24.  Look below for how big a piece you can have:


Okay, that is two pieces...but still....Yaaaaaaaaaaay!
Now, if we are doing full disclosure here I will admit to one thing about these brownies that is kind-of a negative.
Kind-of.
They are moist, chewy, chocolatey, and amazing BUT - they aren't quite as dense as a regular brownie. You know, that almost-raw density that brownies can have...these aren't like that. They are more a cake-brownie than a brownie-brownie.
Hey, for 118 calories instead of about 300 in regular brownies and 2.5 fat instead of over 10 fat in regular brownies, I will suffer through the chocolateliness of this one.
Once again, I'm a trooper.

Stop by Carole's Chatter for tons of great links!

5 comments:

  1. Yes! I lOve the pig cup I want one where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a farmyard animal set at Walmart..of course, that was last year (or maybe the year before?). I'm not sure if you would be able to still find them! :)

      Delete
  2. I made these same brownies a few weeks ago - I thought they were pretty tasty (especially after they sat a day or two). I did, however, think they had a very prominent banana taste to them . . .not that I minded! I also added unsweetened shredded coconut along with a few chocolate shavings and omitted the nuts. Delicious - especially for breakfast with a big ol' creamy iced coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try them again after they sit for a while to see if I find the banana more prominent. I ate one when it was still warm so I didn't find it too bad. I froze the rest so when I thaw them I will update :) I like the thought of adding coconut!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I am stopping over from Carole's Chatter :-) These sound amazing, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete