Friday, July 8, 2016

Watermelon Smoothie Bowl


If you are a fan of Pinterest or Instagram then you have probably noticed that smoothie bowls are the new "in" thing. 
It took me a while to get interested in smoothie bowls. I mean.... smoothies in a cup, sure, I've been having those forever. Why on earth do you need to have them in a bowl topped with extra things?
And then.... I actually made a smoothie bowl. 
Holy heck!
Yes. They are worth all the hype. 
For realz. I'm hooked. 
Something magical happens when you pour a smoothie in a bowl instead of a cup. 
Even more so when you pour it into a bowl made of watermelon. 
Plus.... *cue angels singing* healthified deliciousness is always a plus.
According to MyFitnessPal, this bad boy is: 183 calories, 30 carbs, 3 fat, 10 protein. (Recipe makes 2 servings)


Watermelon Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients
1 cup 0 fat Greek yogurt (I use lactose free)
1 small watermelon (yields about 3 - 4 cups of diced watermelon)
2 Tbsp shredded coconut
8 fresh cherries, quartered
1/3 cup blueberries

Directions
Freeze the Greek yogurt until it is solid. (**I usually freeze 1 cup portions in Ziploc baggies so they are ready to go when I want them.**)
Cut watermelon in half and scoop out the insides. Remove seeds if there is any. Drain off excess juice. 
Place watermelon in a blender and pulse briefly. Add in the frozen Greek yogurt and blend until smooth. (**If you find it too runny - you can blend in ice to thicken it up.**)
Pour the mixture into the watermelon halves.


Top with the coconut, cherries, and blueberries. 


Serve immediately. 
*tah-dah*
It just looks so darned fancy schmancy, am I right?
Of course smoothie bowls can be easily switched up. I like to use pineapple flavored yogurt with the watermelon for a tropical twist. 
I've also made PB2 smoothies bowls and pumpkin pie smoothie bowls. So many choices. I've been posting pics on Instagram but decided  I'd better actually start sharing the recipes on our blog before I start forgetting these delicious combinations. 
All aboard the smoothie bowl train!

1 comment:

  1. It's really nice to find this recipe. I like watermelon and I think watermelon smoothie is a great idea. I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete